List:       linux-dvb
Subject:    Re: [linux-dvb] suggestions for dual tuner + hardware encoder cards?
From:       Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm () admin ! grnet ! gr>
Date:       2007-10-29 8:50:13

Hi,

Hans, thank you very much for your suggestion. Sorry for replying so
late.

On 25 Οκτ 2007, at 1:08 ΜΜ, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> One option is the Hauppauge PVR-500 that has two tuners. It can encode
> into an MPEG-2 Program Stream (NOT Transport Stream, you will have
> to do
> postprocessing if you want a TS). Also note that it is not suitable
> as a
> framegrabber card, it's meant to be used as an MPEG encoder.

I read about this on the wiki. So basically this is true for all
iTVC15/iTVC16-based devices, supported by ivtv, this one included?

In the pictures I saw there is a single RF input; this is somehow
split internally is this signal somehow split internally so both
tuners work independently? In the end you get two MPEG-PS from two
video devices?

Do you happen to know if these cards are sold in Europe? I am asking
because this model is only listed in the Hauppauge US site, and I
couldn't find them in any European-based stores so far.

I was looking at HVR cards (like the HVR-1300 and HVR-4000), but I
think none of these feature both a hardware encoder and dual tuners.
Right?

Any other suggestions? I would even consider single-tuner cards, if
they're well supported and the quality is really good. Would you or
anyone suggest a specific cx88+blackbird card?

> Watch out for PVR-500 cards that use a Samsung tuner: avoid them,
> these
> tuners can give you a lot of trouble depending on the quality of your
> input signal.

Hauppauge lists two models: 00253 and 00254. I suppose I would be
interested in the second one, since Hauppauge says it's the one with
a PAL tuner (or is that a software feature?). Is this somehow related
to the above? Is there any way I could tell if a specific card has
this tuner (before installing it)? Maybe last questions should be
addressed to ivtv-users instead, but I thought I'd ask you anyway.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Z.