List:       linux-dump-users
Subject:    Re: [Dump-users] restore: Incremental tape too high
From:       Tom Yates <madhatter () teaparty ! net>
Date:       2010-06-10 13:04:45

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Stelian Pop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 07:45:41PM +0100, Tom Yates wrote:
>
>> i'm getting this when i try to restore a level 1 dump on top of a level 0.
> [...]
>> am i right in thinking that the error is trying to tell me that the
>> incremental "pre-dates" the full backup?
>
> Yes

it's extremely useful just to know i'm thinking about the right error -
thank you for that.

> : (in restore.c:
> 	if (hdr.dumpdate != dumptime)
> 		errx(1, "Incremental tape too %s",
> 			(hdr.dumpdate < dumptime) ?  "low" : "high");
[...]
> I'm not sure you can do this without modifying the source code
> (commenting out the above test).

i would be very happy to do that, and if this crops up again i may well do
that.  i thought about it myself, but couldn't be sure i wasn't breaking
some other important test at the same time, which uncertainty you have
removed for me.

> The next time I suggest you use the -T option of dump to set the
> dump time to the date when the mirrors were broken.

the man page is seriously unclear that -T can be used in that way, but now
i know that it can, i'm completely sorted for next time.

in the event, i did some find-based trickery to confirm that there existed
no file which (a) had been modified in the eight-minute window between
breaking and dumping, and (b) had not since been re-modified, so i decided
it was safe for me to revert /etc/dumpdates and do a new incremental.

but if my window had been longer or i hadn't thought to do that test, your
input would have completely saved me.  thank you!

--

       Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net