List:       linux-dump-users
Subject:    Re: [Dump-users] Cannnot stat directory??
From:       Stelian Pop <stelian () popies ! net>
Date:       2004-07-01 14:59:27

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:39:16AM -0700, Ken Godee wrote:

> Ok, just a little confused in the restore "-D" option....
>
> lets say  /dev/sda1 = /boot
>
> mtab / fstab not available on rescue disk.
>
> dump of /dev/sda1...
>
> Dumping /dev/sda1 (unlisted file system) to /dev/nst0 on host adm380
> Label: /boot
>
> Soooo....
>
> Would I try  "-D /boot" ?

Yes, you have to mount /dev/sda1 as /boot (or /mnt/whatever), then
pass -D /mnt/whatever to restore.

> Still confused how it would match
> /boot to /dev/sda1 ?

Your confusion is coming from the fact that you ignore the fact
that restore does the comparision *against a mounted filesystem*

Although dump is able to dump a unmounted filesystem, restore is
not able to compare against the raw device.

> or is it just because I know that setting
> the counter "-s 1" is /dev/sda1
> ie. -D /boot .... -s 1

???? -s has nothing to do with that...

Stelian.