List:       linux-driver-devel
Subject:    Linux Drivers needed for 802.11
From:       dcbw () redhat ! com (Dan Williams)
Date:       2007-11-20 17:01:25

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 00:24 -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Greg,
>
> http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DriversNeeded#802_11_Wireless_Network_cards
>
> This has a list of "needed" 802.11 drivers. It needs some updating as
> we have quite a few new drivers and some are already in the works. I
> was about to update this list to reflect our current driver list and
> also add all 802.11n info I have but considered fist moving it to
> linuxwireless.org so we can arrange this a bit better. Reason for
> doing so is to let us arrange it as we can keep better track of it. I
> still think we should use LinuxDriverProject to inform developers of
> new driver efforts needed and to try to help spawn such projects and
> keep track of them. Any comments on this suggested arrangement?

InProComm 2120 chipset is unsupported, but I doubt many people will care
because it's a b-only chipset.  However, I believe that InproComm got
bought in 2004 by MediaTek, which makes a lot of embedded 802.11 parts
for which there are no wireless drivers at all.  I've got two IPN 2120
MiniPCI cards if somebody wants to take a stab at one.

There is also no support for the AboCom Systems, Inc. SDIO Wifi cards
like the SDW11G:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SDW11G&cpc=SCH

There is a mac80211 driver for 88w8335 that's a port of the mrv8k driver
here:

http://david.woodhou.se/mrv.tar.gz

There's also a whole host of SIS chips, the 160u, 162u, and 163u.  These
are found in (for example) the TRENDnet TEW-424UB v2.  SIS released
linux drivers for the 160 and 162, but they are atheros/nvidia-style
binary blob modules.

Dan