List:       linux-doc
Subject:    Re: Master index infrastructure working.
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2007-09-12 1:19:39

On Monday 10 September 2007 9:59:36 am Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:51:50 -0500 Rob Landley wrote:
> > Finally.
> >
> > Ok, http://kernel.org/doc/master.html doesn't look like much, but I'm so
> > happy it's not blocking me anymore.  I've got a python script
> > (make/indexsections.py) that parses <section id="Name of Section"> tags,
> > section headers in the data at the appropriate points.  This way the
> > source format is _really_ close to the broadcast format, and can in fact
> > the source can be recreated from the broadcast version simply by
> > filtering out some stuff (so if I get patches against "view source", I
> > can deal with 'em fairly easily).
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> What is master.html built or derived from?
> and how volatile is that input?

So I have a new version of http://kernel.org/doc/master.html up, built from
master.idx in the same directory.  It's mostly a skeleton, and although a few
sections have some data stuck in 'em (often temporary placeholder stuff) most
of the sections are empty.

I'm not happy with it.  I thought at this point I could exchange the front
page for this, but...

I'm trying to figure out both how to make the index itself more manageable,
and how to make the section headers suck less.  The section headers are
probably the easy part, just break down and add 2.3.7.2 style numbers to make
the nesting more obvious.  (Neither changing font size nor indenting works
well with the depth of nesting this thing's going to have, and that's what's
left.  Yeah the numbers are likely to change randomly for a while, but oh
well...)

Opinions?

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.