List:       linux-diald
Subject:    Re: Diald for morons?
From:       "Paul Schmidt" <pschmidt () interlog ! com>
Date:       2000-08-08 17:37:50

-----Original Message-----
From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
To: linux-diald@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-diald@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 11:02 AM

>On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 11:25:17AM -0400, Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> Fred:

That's true, but can't afford that right now, the project is on hold, until
I decide what to do with my ISP.  I havent been as happy lately, so I might
be switching (to a DSL capable provider :) It's a big pain in the donkey to
switch though....

>> First I want to get the Linux box to be able to get out, without needing
>> console command, like ipup.  Then I will deal with NAT, previous
experiance
>> (18 years) in computers, have taught me, that doing two things at once
will
>> ALWAYS fail.  I have RH 6.1 on the Linux box, so it's a 2.2 kernel.
>>
>> >--Also do a google search for "trinityOS" which is a large document
>> >  giving a lot of info about these things.
>>
>> I'll have a look for this....
>>
>> >--for diald, memorize (;-) the docs that come with it, ask tons of
>> >  questions here. Be sure to get the 0.99.x version of diald, not the
>> >  0.16.xx version.
>>
>> Don't have time to memorize docs, given the financially motivated
limitation
>> to the project time, I don't even have time to READ the docs. :-)
>>
>> >--For a mail server you'll need to know about sendmail (or exim or some
>> >  other sendmail replacement)
>>
>> I have the "bat" book, this is part of phase 2 anyway, can you recommend
>> good POP3 or IMAP4 server?
>
>Sorry, I have no experience with them as either a user or an administrator.
>
>> >--for a news server you'll need to know about INN (or c-news or d-news
or
>> >  some other replacement). Personally, I'm running c-news here. Why?
just
>> >  because I knew a teeny little bit about it which put me way ahead of
>> >  trying to learn INN for a single-site-with-no-downstream-feeds news
>> >  server. Besides, I'm told that INN is a bear to configure though I've
>> >  (obviously) no personal experience with it. C-news is old (as far as I
>> >  know it hasn't been updated in several years--anybody got any better
>> >  info on this??) and it is also somewhat of a pain to set up and
>> >  configure. D-news is, I believe, a commercial product.
>>
>> Leafnode will be used here, this has already been decided, I used it once
>> before....
>
>Please let me know how leafnode works out for you, I've been thinking
>(but sunk in inaction) that it might be a good replacement for the old
>c-news I've been using here for some time.

If your providing news for SOHO use, then leafnode is a good way to go, it's
small, simple to setup, and only deals with groups that have users actuallly
using them.  So if you drop an NG from your reader, and you were the only
one reading it, it will after a while go away....  As for your old c-news,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it :-)

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-diald" in