List:       linux-diald
Subject:    Re: Netmasks
From:       Tom Reinertson <treinertson () uswest ! net>
Date:       1999-09-28 14:33:18

Wookey,

> I can't find the doc right now, but the point is that the netmask is a
> _mask_. Sensible values are ones with all ones on the left and all zeros
> on the right. IPs deemed to be on the local net are ones that fit in the
> mpart of the field that is zero.

I can't put my finger on the right doc either, but I'm sure I read somewhere
that 255.255.255.255 is the proper mask for any PPP connection.  I know I
certainly don't set the net mask and whenever my ppp connection is active,
ifconfig shows a netmask of 255.255.255.255.

Yes, hopefully someone will come along and clear this all up.

Tom

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-diald" in