List:       linux-diald
Subject:    Diald not caching packets...?
From:       Derek Simkowiak <dereks () kd-dev ! com>
Date:       1999-07-31 3:21:36

     Howdy,
	I'm using diald to connect to an annex.  My machine has a static
IP, and the annex has a static IP.

	My annex works similar to diald (but it is not using diald, as far
as I know).  I am using the "two-way" and "give-way" options.  I have
thoroughly read the documentation that came with .99.1.

	When I ping the annex, however, packets get lost.  It is
acting as though diald is not caching the packets.  I.e., the command

$ ping -c 5 172.20.30.11

	...will return with a 100% packet loss (all five packets get
lost).  However, sending these packets causing the link to come up, and
eventually the ping packets start coming back.

	I have specified the option "buffer-packets" and increased the
buffer size with "buffer_size 128000" in the /etc/diald.conf, but no
change in behaviour resulted.

	The only thing odd about my setup is that the modem-equipped Linux
box was an old Slackware box (running an a.out kernel 1.2.13) that has
been manually upgraded to kernel 2.2.5 (actually the 2.2.5-15 that comes
with Redhat 6.0).  I have also upgraded to glibc2.1, the Redhat PAM
modules and associated libs, and I'm using a new "route", a new "pppd",
and even a new "ping".  All of these came from a Redhat 6.0 distribution
and were manually uploaded and installed on the box.

	I can't figure out how to troubleshoot this problem.  Can somebody
offer suggestions, or explain what goes on with diald so I can try to
narrow the problem down?

	Incidentally, I am using this message as an example/test of Open
Source community support to my client.  I already know how great OSS
support is, but they want to see the "proof".  Don't let us down :).

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-diald" in