List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: (AES) loopback crypto questions
From:       Emil <el () la ! mine ! nu>
Date:       2001-07-11 11:17:48

On 11 July 2001, Dale Amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:
> In the passed I zeroed my loopbacks; but I like the idea of using /dev/random
> for the job... although the thought of doing that over 10-20GB gives me
> thoughts of going on vacation for 2 weeks while it runs.

A good compromise between speed and the use of random data to overwrite your
sensitive data is to use 3 different threads: one gathers entropy from
random events, the other feeds this entropy into a pseudo-random number
generator and the last writes the data to disk. In this way you get the
maximum speed that your hardware can provide. It's almost the speed of
dd if=/dev/zero. Have a look at the following URL:

http://hungrycats.org/~zblaxell/projects/randstream/randstream.html

--
								Regards,
								Emil