List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    RE: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package
From:       "IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R" <stuart () bh90210 ! net>
Date:       2001-07-10 0:24:37

Dan, et al.:

	Obviously there is no solution in the instant, but this does not make the
crypto "broken" as Mr. Ruusu tends to try to make us all believe. Granted,
it has wrinkles needing to be worked out. But most people use ext2 (granted
I am doing some testing with ReiserFS, but am most likely going to wait for
ext3 since it is ext2 compatible, and FIPS and Partition Magic can deal with
ext2), so I fail to see a problem. If you need support for a different
filesystem, then yes, you will need a different solution. However, selling
this issue, as "I-patch is broken" is complete rubbish.

	Granted on a certain level I agree with you, I would like the I-patch to
support different block sizes, as I would like to create an encrypted file,
which could be copied to CD-ROM for backup or offline storage reasons.

	Lastly, I have not been running a 2.2 kernel for some time, and also have
never even tried crypto when I did run it, so I cant appreciate your problem
as much, but why not just get some extra space and convert everything? Copy
from a 2.2 encrypted filesystem to a clear filesystem then back to a 2.4
encrypted filesystem.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@bh90210.net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, July 09, 2001 4:55 PM