List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: AES
From:       Gisle S{lensminde <gisle () ii ! uib ! no>
Date:       2000-11-24 11:34:52

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, John Kennedy wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 10:34:54AM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Emil wrote:
> > > util-linux-2.10o.int.patch still doesn't include the AES encryption
> > > Anyone plans to do it ?
> >
> > You can easily add it to the list of known ciphers in
> > util-linux/mount/lomount.c
> > Then re-compile both mount and losetup.
>
>   I've been looking into what I would have to do to try and enable that.
> Right now I'm using serpent (in the readme and in the source, plus
> it works), but AES is supposed to be much faster (looking at NIST's
> benchmarks).

Well, not much in kerneli. The reason for that is that serpent is very
well optimised, but rijndael is not that well optimised. The reason for
that is that serpent is more "compiler frendly" than rijndael. To get a
really fast rijndael implementation, we must implement one in assembly.

--
Gisle Sælensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)