List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: ext3 & e2fsck & simulated crash & loop-aes
From:       Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu () pp ! inet ! fi>
Date:       2002-09-16 5:08:29

Martin wrote:
> so I have now loop-aes with file backed and ext3->ext3->partition.
> I did copy a large file from the normal partition to the crypto-file
> and in the middle just pressed reset. I wanted to see what happens.
>
> I just wonder because at boot e2fsck says for the whole partition (where
> the cryptofile is as well) "recovering journal". Now when I make
> a losetup -e to /dev/loop0 for the file and then a e2fsck /dev/loop0
> (or e2fsck -f /dev/loop0) it says everything is ok. I wonder why it
> doesn't say recovering journal for the crypto-fs as well like for the
> whole partition on boot ? Anyone can explain it to me ?

If you use fsck, be sure to specify filesystem type as ext3. And if you are
just mounting it without fsck, EXT3 FS writes "recovery complete" message
using kernel printk(). You have to use dmesg program to display it on your
console. On boot before klogd and syslogd are started, such printk()s are
usually displayed on the console. That doesn't necessarily happen after boot
has completed. I tried to reproduce this twice in data=ordered mode. On
first attempt I used fsck to replay the journal. Here is output of that
attempt:

# losetup -e AES128 /dev/loop0 /root/zz
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Password:
# fsck -t ext3 -f /dev/loop0
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/loop0: recovering journal
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/loop0: 12/102400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 7322/102400 blocks

On second attempt, I just mounted it and EXT3 FS replayed the journal. Here
is output of that attempt:

# mount -t ext3 /root/zz /mnt666 -o loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
Password:
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on loop(7,0), internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-