List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: cryptoapi & loop-aes & ext3 & file based encryption
From:       Stelios Bounanos <sb () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       2002-09-12 0:37:59

 >> http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/2002-02/msg00020.html
 >>
 >> http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/2002-06/msg00047.html
 >> (and other messages in this thread)

 > Many thanks for the interesting arcticles.

 > So, if I understand right:

 > When I mount ext3 at boot with fstab it defaults to data=ordered and thus I can
 > use for loop-aes & cryptoapi:

 > ext3 -> loop -> ext3 (default=ordered) -> partition

 > with no future options.

 > Also

 > ext2 -> loop -> ext3 -> partition

 > should work with no problem.

 > Correct ?

Yes, this is my understanding as well.

 > BTW, what is more reliable, loop-aes or cryptoapi ? I have the feeling
 > from the postings that more people use loop-aes. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can't comment on this, as I've never used loop-aes or run cryptoapi in
a particularly stressing environment. However, I seem to remember the
author of loop-aes claiming that it perfoms better than the cryptoapi,
so you might want to test and compare them on that basis also.

 > Thanks !
 > Martin

Rgds,
/-sb.