List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re[1]: Recovering a loop-AES encrypted root partition
From:       Andreas Schreier <a_schreier () firemail ! de>
Date:       2002-02-22 20:09:33

> The only way to recover that data is to manually examine
the content
> of each block. Of course you could use "grep" to find
specific
> strings in your blocks (or other tools).

Thanks for the script! I ran it and I was able to recover
some of my data by using grep. I noticed that it takes
extremely long. After many hours the script had only read
like 400 M. Unfortunately my /dev/hda6 was 2 G so it will
take much longer. If I understand dd correctly, it doesn't
leave out empty blocks, does it?
As I can't recover all the data at the moment and I need
the space I would like to burn the partition on cds. I
would like the data to remain encrypted so I guess I won't
losetup it before burning. Is there a possibility to read
the partition as it is and split it up into 700 M files? If
I understood man dd correctly, I tell it to read the first
700 000 blocks and the next time I tell it to skip the
first 700 000 blocks, right? I am not sure how large the
blocks have to be for burning on cd. Is it 1024 again? I
haven't found out how to put the three 700 M files together
again. Is that possible with dd too? I think I will have it
in one large 2 G file and then losetup that file
(via /dev/loop maybe?).
Thank you very much for the help. I am glad that I could
already recover some parts of my data. Thanks!

Best regards
Andreas
=DCber 1 Mio. Angebote - Startpreis Euro 1,- http://www.fireball.de/ebay.html

-