List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: crypto basics
From:       Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () wiretrip ! org>
Date:       2001-12-13 16:29:17

Hi,

Quoting Damian Gerow (damian@sentex.net):
<snip some>
> Does anyone have a link (or a document they can post on the web) that points
> to the basics of encryption?
<snip some more>

Go out to your local Good Bookstore and buy 'Applied Cryptography'. I know
it's not an online text, but you won't regret it. The sci.crypt faq is quite
ok as well, and has lots of links and references.

> And (what I'd really like to see) does anyone know of a complete rundown of
> all the ciphers that are available in the kernel?  The help was just enough
> to whet my appetite -- and I'm really curious to see why AES is ... not
> well liked.
Did you actually check out the AES candidate analisys document ? Apart from
that, all of the cyphers used in the kernel are open, well-documented, and a
*truckload* of information can be found about them using just google.
I suggest you try that one first, then ask here if you have any
linux-related questions/remarks about it :)

Greets,
	Robert

--
				Linux Generation