List:       linux-cifs-client
Subject:    Re: [linux-cifs-client] Re: Documentation
From:       Jeff Layton <jlayton () redhat ! com>
Date:       2009-06-03 10:20:31

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 00:52:45 -0500
Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Jonathan wrote:
> > When I execute this:
> >
> > sudo mount -t cifs -o user=foo,pass=bar //zang/s$ /mnt/zangshare
> >
> > I get messages in dmesg:
> >
> > [344017.883572]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
>
> Looks like simply invalid parameter is returned presumably because the
> share name
> is reversed in order from the parameters (see "man mount.cifs" for
> syntax).  Probably should be:
>
> sudo mount -t cifs //zang/s$ /mnt/zangshare -o user=foo,pass=bar

That shouldn't matter unless you're calling mount.cifs
directly. /bin/mount can handle this format. Also, if that were the case,
I wouldn't think that the mount helper would even get around to calling
mount().

> > I cannot find any documentation anywhere that can tell me what -22
> > means. Is it a CIFS C constant, a Linux kernel constant, or some POSIX
> > exit code?
>
> -22 is a posix error (EINVAL). Invalid parameter. Some Linux ship
> utilities to display this
> (the information you can get from strerror).   errno.h or errno-base.h
> includes a more
> complete list of errors.

Do you even have a /sbin/mount.cifs program? If not, that may be the
problem. If you do, maybe run this under strace so we can see what's
actually being passed to the kernel. Something like:

# strace -f -s 256 /bin/mount -t cifs //zang/s$ /mnt/zangshare -o user=foo,pass=bar

...and then find the mount() syscall in the output and send that here.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>