List:       linux-btrfs
Subject:    Re: Corruption errors on Samsung 980 Pro
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2021-08-12 12:44:06

Martin Steigerwald posted on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 17:05:59 +0200 as excerpted:

> (both Baloo and Akonadi have very crazy I/O patterns

OK so this is OT for this list (tho there's an on-topic remark below),
but as another kde user, this is one of my hotbuttons, FWIW...

I've always considered both baloo and akonadi more trouble than they're
worth, and at quite some personal hassle and trouble switched off of both
them -- they're now blacklisted and won't touch my machines!

Akonadi is of course used by kdepim-based applications, including both
kmail and akregator, which I previously used.  These days I use claws-
mail for both (tho I prefer them separate so I run two instances, one for
mail, another as my feed-reader, with a different HOME and TMPDIR set to
avoid interfering with the first one).  Quite a shame really, as pre-
akonadi I was really happy with kmail, which I had used since I switched
from MS back at the turn of the century, and wasn't /unhappy/ with
akregator either.  Ironically I had chosen kmail over (then) sylpheed
claws back then.  Had that choice gone the other direction I'd have never
had to hassle with getting off of kmail.  Oh, well...

As for baloo, luckily I run gentoo, and thus have USE=-semantic-desktop
to turn it off at build-time.  For a couple years the gentoo/kde folks
did try to force it on (did away with the semantic-desktop flag as an
option), but I was able to continue carrying the necessary patches to
turn it off locally.  Eventually they switched back to supporting the
semantic-desktop flag and I was able to drop my local patches.

If they hadn't or if kde had ultimately forced semantic-desktop upstream,
I'd have almost certainly found some other desktop to use, because in my
experience it's simply not worth its cost in lost system performance and
stability, and I won't have it on my system, at least beyond some minimal
transitional upgrade period until I can find an alternative solution.

> It is BTRFS single profile on LVM on LUKS. Mount options are:
>
> rw,relatime,lazytime,compress=zstd:3,
> ssd,space_cache=v2,subvolid=1054,subvol=/home

Unless you have a known reason not to, I'd strongly suggest switching
from relatime to noatime, tho lazytime does mitigate the problem
somewhat.  Here I actually carry a kernel patch that switches the default
to noatime (from relatime).

Once noatime is set the need for lazytime decreases and I actually prefer
having ctime/mtime synced to storage here, tho for file-rewrite-in-place
heavy workloads like databases and vm-images it's still going to cut down
on inode rewrite churn quite a bit, and I'd consider keeping it both in
that case and if you're making use of btrfs snapshotting at under 24-hour
intervals.

And if you /do/ need atime for something I'd consider putting the files
that need it on a different filesystem where atime updates aren't so
expensive.  Altho of course multi-partitioning in ordered to have
multiple filesystems isn't entirely hassle-free either, so there's a
tradeoff.