List:       linux-btrfs
Subject:    Re: Undelete files
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2019-01-02 2:48:28

Jesse Emeth posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 16:58:12 +0800 as excerpted:

> Hi Duncan
>
> The backup is irrelevant in this case. I have a backup of this
> particular problem.
> I've had BTRFS on my OS system blow up several times.
> There are several snapshots of this within the subvolume.
> However, such snapshots are not helpful unless they are snapshots
> copied elsewhere with restore/rsync etc.

How can backups and snapshots not be helpful in terms of a problem where
you'd be using undelete?  Undelete implies the filesystem is fine and
that you're just trying to get a few files that you mistakenly deleted
back, which in fact was the claim, and both backups and snapshots should
allow you to do just that, get your deleted files back.

> I had spoken to someone expressing my concerns with BTRFS on IRC.
> He wanted me to present this so that such problems could be rectified.
> I also wanted to learn more about BTRFS to see if my determinations
> about its inadequacies were incorrect.
>
> Thus I want to follow this through to see if what is actually a very
> very small problem related to just a non essential small Firefox cache
> directory can actually be fixed.
> At present this very very small problem brings down the entire volume
> and all subvolumes with no way to mount any of it rw or easily fix the
> issue.
> That is not sane for such a small issue.

That's not a file undelete issue.  That's an entire filesystem issue.
Quite a different beast, and not one that I directly addressed in my
reply (altho the data value vs. backups stuff applies to fat-fingering
such as mistaken deletes, filesystem problems, hardware problems, and
natural disasters, all four), because both the title and the content
suggested a file undelete issue, which /was/ addressed.