List:       linux-btrfs
Subject:    Re: BTRFS did it's job nicely (thanks!)
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2018-11-03 8:22:26

waxhead posted on Fri, 02 Nov 2018 20:54:40 +0100 as excerpted:

> Note that I tend to interpret the btrfs de st / output as if the error
> was NOT fixed even if (seems clearly that) it was, so I think the output
> is a bit misleading... just saying...

See the btrfs-device manpage, stats subcommand, -z|--reset option, and
device stats section:

-z|--reset
Print the stats and reset the values to zero afterwards.

DEVICE STATS
The device stats keep persistent record of several error classes related
to doing IO. The current values are printed at mount time and
updated during filesystem lifetime or from a scrub run.

So stats keeps a count of historic errors and is only reset when you
specifically reset it, *NOT* when the error is fixed.

(There's actually a recent patch, I believe in the current dev kernel
4.20/5.0, that will reset a device's stats automatically for the btrfs
replace case when it's actually a different device afterward anyway.
Apparently, it doesn't even do /that/ automatically yet.  Keep that in
mind if you replace that device.)