List:       linux-btrfs
Subject:    Re: Number of hard links limit
From:       Anthony Roberts <btrfs-devel () arbitraryconstant ! com>
Date:       2010-08-02 18:31:12

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:05:56 +0200, Xavier Nicollet <nicollet@jeru.org>
wrote:
> Le 02 août 2010 à 14:40, Sami Liedes a écrit:
>> [BTRFS supports only 256 hard-links per directory ...] but if it
>> indeed needs a disk format change, I think this should be considered
>> before the format is set in stone. I won't personally lose my sleep if
>> this is not fixed - I can use other filesystems for backuppc and other
>> similar systems,
>
> Wouldn't it be even better to actually patch BackupPC to handle btrfs
> snapshots and COW (bcp) ?

That's not the only application impacted by this.

Also, I think it's unrealistic to expect everyone else to code to
BTRFS-specific ioctls when there's other filesystems and other platforms to
worry about. It would also be nice if we could tar/rsync/whatever between
BTRFS and something else like ext3 or some other OS entirely, without
archiving tools either blowing up or requiring application-specific
knowledge of how to convert dedups to hard links and back.

Also, I believe it's not strictly 256 links, it's dependent on the length
of the names.

I recall Chris posting something about being able to fix this without a
format change, though it wasn't a priority yet.

-Anthony