List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    [Bridge] Wireless bridge - revisited
From:       "North Antara" <north () ntbox ! com>
Date:       2005-08-17 23:27:46

Several weeks ago (July 1st), you may remember me asking about using a
Linksys WET11 (ethernet to wireless bridge) with bridge-utils.

Mark Mathews was kind enough to respond and described a situation he
called "b/mcast echo".  From his reply:
"
Because of the games that have to be played to build WLAN station bridge
devices, some have a problem with what I call 'b/mcast echo'.  Basically,
what happens is this:
   1) the WLAN bridge (call it WB) device picks up a broadcast frame (like
      the arp request from a2:a9) from it's ethernet interface,
   2) WB forwards the the bcast frame to the WLAN AP via a unicast WLAN
      frame (this is normal behavior),
   3) WLAN APs, by default, take 'unicast encapsulated' broadcast frames