List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    [Bridge] Problems with Bridge under Heavy Traffic Loads
From:       "Rajesh Srivastava" <rajesh () balcomt ! com>
Date:       2003-07-19 20:33:32

Bart and Gavin,

I am using Becker's drivers which are part of  standard Linux distribution
2.4.20 downloaded from kernel.org.  I am seeing the same symptoms with Linux
2.4.21 also.

The test program I am using generates sustained traffic of about 70 MB per
TCP connection. As a result the generated traffic fully stresses the queues
as opposed to burtsy traffic where queues have a chance of  recovery.
Additionally this is being done on a private network with few machines so
the bridge internal IP table is not strained at all.

I am planning to try out the standard Intel drivers this wekend and will let
you know my observations.

We can continue this discussion on private e-mail.

Thanks
Rajesh
rajesh@balcomt.com

On Saturday 19 July 2003 19:45, Rajesh Srivastava wrote:
> I am using Intel EtherExpress and Intel EtherPro with standard 2.4.20
> drivers.

Is that eepro100 (Becker's driver) or e100 (Intel's driver)?
I'm willing to try determine the exact cause and fix it, if you have time
for
trying patches. If so, we can continue this discussion in private mail.

> What is surprising here is that ifconfig shows that there are no dropped
> packets, no collisions etc. on the hardware.
>
> Also total traffic on br0 is less than 1% then that of eth0, eth1,and eth3
> - is this normal.

All bridged frames are accounted for ethx. Only traffic with the bridge
itself
is accounted for br0. Traffic to the bridge is counted twice, once for ethx
and once for br0.

cheers,
Bart

Rajesh