List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    [Bridge] Help with configuring a backup Filtering Bridge Firewall
From:       "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan () concentric ! net>
Date:       2003-07-08 23:34:00

I have configured two identical machines, a primary and a backup, using a
RedHat 8.0 base, Kernel 2.4.20 with the bridge-nf-0.0.10-against-2.4.20.diff
and ebtables-v2.0.003_vs_2.4.20.diff patches.

These are the only two Linux machines at the site.  Everything else is
Microsoft-based.

The backup machine is attached to the internal network and is used as a
remote console to the primary machine and for analysis of the primary
firewall logs which are sent to the backup machine using
iptables_logger_v0.4.tar.gz which stores into a MySQL database.

I would like the role of primary or backup to be determined automatically by
the machine at boot time.  One distinguishing difference is that the primary
will have 2 Ethernet cables plugged in and the backup will only have one.
Is there a way to discover this difference in a script?

Are there any other distinguishing characteristics I could use?

Thanks for your insight.

Regards,

Brad Morgan