List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    RE: [Bridge] Integrated Hardware/Software Bridging
From:       "Eble, Dan" <DanE () aiinet ! com>
Date:       2003-02-26 19:02:04

> I'll write the daemon if you do the kernel part?

Actually, a colleague of mine is already working on creating a Linux STP
dæmon from the IEEE 802.1D reference code.  It is a good thing you replied
now; I just started to implement the STIOCSSTPSTATE ioctl yesterday.

> >   * add SIOCSSTPSTATE ioctl to change the state
>
> Please, no ioctl.  /proc interface, maybe?

If the STP dæmon already has a socket open listening for BPDUs, isn't ioctl
the most convenient way to tell the port to change its STP state?

/proc would require more bookkeeping in the STP dæmon.  Where in /proc
should the files be?  Would you address them by ifname, ifindex, or
something else?

ioctl can return ENETDOWN to the STP dæmon if the dæmon tries to change the
state (e.g. to blocking) when the interface is down.  What is a good way to
indicate that kind of failure when writing to a /proc file?  It seems
strange to me to have write(procfd,...) return ENETDOWN, but I suppose that
is possible, right?

> >   * add code to the network core to drop non-STP frames
> >     received in the "blocking", "listening".  In the
> >     "learning" state, allow frames to be handled by
> >     master devices (namely the software bridge), but do
> >     not allow them to pass to the protocol drivers.
>
> This is already how it is done now, I think?

Never mind what I said.  I believe it can be left the way it is.

> >   * add CONFIG_802_1D to enable STP independent of software bridging
>
> How do you mean this?  I would love to just cut away the STP code from
> the kernel at all.

I am working with an embedded ethernet switch that does not need software
bridging, but will still need the ioctls (or whatever) to set the STP state
on the switch ports.  That is why a separate config option would be useful:
give me 802.1D control capability, but not the software bridge.

Thanks,

--
Dan Eble <dane@aiinet.com>  _____  .
                           |  _  |/|