List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    Re: [Bridge] packet counting in bridge
From:       Bart De Schuymer <bart.de.schuymer () pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-10-30 6:42:53

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 02:06, ditto@etri.re.kr wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to check the amount of packet usage for a specific MAC address
> during a specific time interval.
> In other words, the amount of the packets from and to the MAC address is
> needed to be checked.
> and finally that will be used as billing records.
>
> Is there anyone who can have an idea or the way of working?
> Any experiences or comments will be greatly helpful to me.
> Thanks in advance.

You can use ebtables for this, or iptables with the bridge-nf patch.
In the 2.5.x series ebtables is available in the standard kernel, and the
bridge-nf patch should be in that kernel too in the near future. There are
patches available for 2.4.x too.

See
http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables/sourcecode.html

The ebtables counters can count any traffic (also non-IP), while the iptables
counters will only count IP traffic.

--
cheers,
Bart