List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    [Bridge] Bridge+FW+Nocat
From:       ITEX Media Networks "Support (Jonas Frey)" <jf () itexnet ! de>
Date:       2002-05-28 11:12:50

Hi,

i am trying to do the following:

I have a Linuxrouter which connects to a Wireless lan accesspoint.
(eth0)
I am using NoCat Auth (www.nocat.net), it fetches request from the
wireless lan through the Linuxrouter which is connected to the internet.
Once NoCat fetches a request is forwards the request to itself where you
have to signup/login. This is done using some iptables rules.
This works fine for NAT.
Now i am trying real forwarding, cause i need real ipaddresses on the
wireless lan machines.

Works like this:

Cisco 2600 -> Catalyst 2950 -> eth1 Linuxrouter eth0 -> Wlan
comes to:
Cisco 2600 -> Catalyst 2950 -> Linuxrouter br1 -> Wlan

Once i config the bridge and ifconfig up it, i cant ping the ip of the
bridge.
As soon as i set ifconfig br1 promisc, i can ping the bridge from
another machine.
But as soon as i do this, some of the machines connected to the Catalyst
get unreachable
as soon as i ping something behind the linuxrouter (wireless lan
machines).
I think the Linuxrouter/bridge is redirecting the catalyst connected
machines to itself instead of the cisco 2600 (-> internet).

I already dissabled STP on both the linuxmachine and the catalysts, but
it doesnt help.

I am not that familar with briding, could anyone point me out what i
made wrong ?

I am sure NoCat/the firewalling on the bridge works fine once setup, its
just that the
catalyst-conn'ed machines get redirected.

Jonas