List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    [Bridge] routing/bridge question
From:       Jeremy Hansen <jeremy () xxedgexx ! com>
Date:       2002-05-18 18:29:22

I think I may be looking at setting up a bridge in my environment, but I'd
like to ask questions.  Perhaps it's just a routing issue.

Here's my environment as best as I can describe:

DSL router -> wireless access point -------- <--- gateway/firewall server
with a wireless pci card and one ethernet.

I have one wireless laptop and I have a switch connected to the ethernet
card in the gateway machine.

Problems I'm seeing...wireless devices cannot get dhcp, which the dhcp
server is bound to eth0 on the gateway server.  This is the eth0, which is
connected to a switch as described above.

Devices connected directly to the switch get dhcp, but cannot forward
through the gateway server to the rest of the internet.  And even though I
get dhcp lease, I cannot ping the gateway machine running dhcp.

So, I was thinking what I may need is a bridge on eth0 and wlan0 on the
gateway server, or perhaps be able to also put my wireless access point
into a bridge mode as well.

The reason for doing things this way is because my DSL router
unfortantely had to be in another room, so my goal was to have the gateway
with the switch in another room.

Does this make sense?

Any help is appreciated.  The goal is to have all devices masquerade
through the wireless card within the gateway machine.  The wireless card
has the externally facing IP address, the eth0 in the gateway machine,
connected to the switch is a 192.168 class c.

If this is a routing issue, like I need some special policy routing or
something, then please let me know which mailling list is appropriate.

Oh, another note, to have things work at all, I had to add 192.168.10.0/24
to my wlan0 device network.  I know this is screwing things up a bit.  For
example, if I try and ping something on the 192.168 address from the
gateway, it first attempts to route through the externally facing IP
address.

Thanks
-jeremy

--