List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    Re: [Bridge] Transparent VPN
From:       Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh () gnu ! org>
Date:       2001-02-20 6:48:22

Hi,

what you want should be possible.

Check out CIPE (http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/cipe.html). Basically, what
you do is build an encrypted ethernet tunnel with CIPE (you need 1.5.1 for
this), create a bridge on each router, and enslave the LAN interface and
the CIPE interface to it. This will cause each router to bridge LAN packets
destined for the 'other' LAN over the encrypted tunnel built by CIPE. This
is all transparent; machines on either LAN won't notice that their peers
are on the 'other' LAN (well, except for the latency perhaps :).

It is not currently possible to act as a bridge-router; patches exist to
make this work depending on the protocol (i.e. route IP and bridge IPX) but
not depending on IP address.

cheers,
Lennert