List:       linux-bluetooth
Subject:    Re: Receiving data in BLE non-connectable undirected advertisements
From:       Benjamin Adler <benadler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-03-03 9:10:02

Hello Marcel,

On 28.02.2014 15:46, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> You can just write an advertising receiver by using Bluetooth HCI
 > User Channel feature from the 3.13 kernel.  With the help of
 > src/shared/hci.c (if that license is acceptable to you), this is
 > trivial. If the license is not acceptable, then you have to
> write your own HCI handling.
>
> The BlueZ source code contains samples in form of tools/ibeacon.c
 > and others on how to write such small program for direct access
> of the HCI interface. If you use this sample code, then please
 > comply with the license as well here.

regarding the license, this is more of a hobby project, so GPL is perfect.

Looking at hci.{c,h}, there is (except for the license) not a single
comment that would help explain things (to bluetooth-newcomers). The
functions might have descriptive names, but I'm missing the bigger picture.

Reading ibeacon.c, I get the impression the code is made for sending
advertisements, not for receiving them. I might be wrong though, there's
no comments either. None of the other filenames in tools/ made me hope I
could find sample code for receiving non-connectable advertisements.

Marcel, could you either point me to some sample code, or help me
understand hci.c (or list the required steps) so that I can write my own?

thanks!
ben