List:       linux-block
Subject:    Re: Time to make dynamically allocated devt the default for scsi disks?
From:       Bart Van Assche <bart.vanassche () sandisk ! com>
Date:       2016-08-30 20:53:55

On 08/30/2016 01:43 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> I tried running this, but it seems I'm failing to configure my test
> environment correctly [1], but I'm worried that this "re-parenting the
> scsi-disk" approach, even if the above warning is addressed, may not
> be backwards compatible.  We now have an ordering difference where the
> link to the "block" attribute group is established after the disk's
> KOBJ_ADD event which seems in the same class of problems that Fam
> Zheng's patchset [2] is trying to solve.
>
> Bart, if you can help me get the test case running I can take a look
> at finishing off the disk_devt approach I proposed earlier.
>
> [1]: https://gist.github.com/djbw/1c72526c90d1ea8fe2a05dcfbfc73dda
> [2]: https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/8/17/63

Hello Dan,

Today running the srp-test software is only possible on a system
equipped with at least one InfiniBand port. Since the soft-RoCE driver
has been accepted in kernel v4.8 (drivers/infiniband/sw/rxe) it should
be possible to modify the srp-test software such that it runs on any
system equipped with at least one Ethernet port. However, that will
require adding RoCE (RDMA over Ethernet) support to the ib_srp and
ib_srpt drivers.

Bart.