List:       linux-bcache
Subject:    Re: Read cache contents cleared on boot?
From:       Larkin Lowrey <llowrey () nuclearwinter ! com>
Date:       2013-12-10 23:25:35

On 12/8/2013 12:32 PM, Rolf Fokkens wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 11:08 PM, Larkin Lowrey wrote:
>> When I boot my cache usage returns to 1.3GB even when it was nearly full
>> at shutdown (as reported by bcache-status). Are the read cache contents
>> not retained across a reboot?
> Same here: After running for a while bcache-status reports a Total
> Cache Used of 2.1GB. After reboot it's back to 910MB all the time. Did
> you get an explanation for this?

I never got an explanation but I have a theory. My cache has started
booting with much more total cache used reported. My theory is that
garbage collection is occurring on boot and that my pre-shutdown numbers
contain a lot of dirty pages. I plan to verify this, when I get a
chance, by forcing a garbage collection before shutdown and comparing
the post GC numbers to the post boot numbers.

--Larkin