List:       linux-backports
Subject:    What if kernel CONFIG=Y or CONFIG=N and backports CONFIG=M?
From:       Leon Woestenberg <sidebranch.linux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-31 23:16:22

Hello all,

two questions (I am new to the backports project):

If I configure backports to build a driver as a module, whilst the
kernel we build against (KLIB/KLIB_BUILD) has this driver built-in, what
is supposed to happen?

Obviously I cannot load the backport module into the kernel.

Is it possible (within the kernel and backports code) to build a
subsystem or driver as a module, if the original kernel did not have
this subsystem or driver built at all ("N" in the menu, CONFIG_
commented out in .config)?

Can the kernel always load modules that were defined as =N during the
kernel built itself?

(My aim is Yocto/OpenEmbedded support for backports into the build system.)

Thanks,

Leon.