List:       linux-audio-dev
Subject:    Re: [linux-audio-dev] CSL-0.1.2 Release
From:       Benno Senoner <sbenno () gardena ! net>
Date:       2001-06-09 14:04:11

On Friday 08 June 2001 18:01, Joe Kazmer wrote:

> Precisely the apps that I and a lot of other people on this list need and
> want to use.  Does this boil down to another "pro-audio bigots" vs.
> everyone else debate?  If you only want to run games and mod-trackers,
> fine, but quit complaining about designs that really do seem to be
> necessary for those of us who are audio professionals (or at least serious
> amateurs).  We (presuming to speak for other "audio pros" out there) really
> do need the lowest latency we can get.
> -dgm

Notice that even in the (worst) case it turns out that the in-process model
is the only fleasible for certain apps (assume that the cache hits , memory
footprint etc do cause problems in a lowlatency multiple process model),
one can still run consumer-grade apps (games, mod-trackers ecc) along with the
lowlatency audio server through a sort of "proxy-server" that pipes the
ins/outs of consumer-grade audio apps into it.
So the consumer-grade folks should not be concerned in any way.
With a bit of glue code both worlds can coexist peacefully without the
user/programmer (of consumer-grade apps) needing to know what's going on
behind the scenes.

Benno.