List:       linux-audio-dev
Subject:    [LAD] Misuse of linuxaudio.org consortium?
From:       "rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola () protonmail ! com>
Date:       2021-01-28 13:51:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Hi LAD,

I would like to raise a issue I've with what I think is a misuse of the consortium linuxaudio.org.

As most of you know, the non-session-manager is forked a few months ago. This was not a fork in harmony \
with it's original developer and a part of the community, who worked on this project for more then 10 \
years and helped create a unique session environment where many users benefit from until today.

Again? Get over it I hear you say. The license gives them the freedom to fork!

I agree.

But I've personally serious issues with how this is organized and presented and one thing goes beyond my \
personal views I think.

Let's start with my personal view with saying that I don't like how they tried to replace \
non-session-manager by new-session-manager completely, in a for me 'Orwellian way'. This starts with the \
naming:

Overall name: non-session-manager -> new-session-manager (new?)
User interface: non-session-manager -> legacy-gui (legacy?)

Ok, now I hear you say: they're free to choose whatever name they want, even if it's bad taste (which is \
subjective anyway) or if you think it has a 'Orwellian smell'. Moreover, you did issue this already some \
time ago.

I agree.

But where it goes really wrong I think, is the way how the name of 'linuxaudio.org' is used in the same \
deceptive manner. They present the very questionable and debatable fork as if it was released by \
linuxaudio.org. They release their fork with statements like:

"Linuxaudio.org presents: New Session Manager Version x"

"Released under the Linuxaudio umbrella"

But since when does linuxaudio.org as consortium releases software? Or since when chooses linuxaudio.org \
as a consortium for a certain version of software? Since when does linuxaudio.org fork software from it's \
own LAD developers?

I think linuxaudio.org has always been neutral about this and it never was a task for the linuxaudio.org \
consortium to release software or worse, to fork software from community developers and presents it as \
the 'new' and 'replacement' even while the original developer and a part of the community disagrees. It \
probably never crossed someones mind to do it this way.

What has happened here, is in my view, a misuse of the name linuxaudio.org and people have misused their \
role as moderator and maintainer of linuxaudio.org and it's github page, to promote their own forked \
software version of a other LAD developer.

Linuxaudio.org should stay neutral here and it should be considered 'unwanted', 'unhealthy' and 'not \
allowed' for people to use the name linuxaudio.org and maybe even the software structure of the \
consortium to promote a fork of someone else his work (without consent by the original LAD developer).

The main developer of new-session-manager has his own place (laborejo.org) where he can puts his software \
and so also his fork. That's not the problem. But even if you place it on the linuxaudio github page for \
some reason, it's utterly wrong in my option, to present this fork as if it was released by the \
linuxaudio.org consortium.

Regards,
\r