List:       linux-audio-dev
Subject:    Re: [LAD] ALSA sequencer: Early delivery of events.
From:       "Richard Cooper" <pj0930 () ecstaticlyrics ! com>
Date:       2016-03-02 15:50:01

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 08:06:05 -0500, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@ladisch.de> wrote:

> > Is it possible to ask ALSA to also deliver these events early along with that \
> > timestamp?
>
> No.  You'd have to subtract the offset from the timestamp yourself.

I should have said that I'm receiving these events, not sending them, in case that \
affects the answer.  ...but I assume it doesn't.

To further explain what I'm trying to do:

I've written a synthesizer that uses a large audio buffer and resynthesizes the audio \
in that buffer when new MIDI events arrive, so as to avoid xruns and achieve minimal \
latency simultaneously.  While it makes sense to go through the \
rewind-and-resynthesize effort for events arriving from an external MIDI keyboard \
since those events cannot be known in advance, when it comes to events previously \
recorded into a sequencer, those events are known in advance and so it would make \
more sense to synthesize those notes correctly the first time so that the \
rewind-and-resynthesize effort isn't necessary.  So I kind of want to make it do \
that, but obviously that requires that there be some way to receive the scheduled \
events from ALSA before their scheduled time. \