List:       linux-audio-dev
Subject:    Re: [LAD] making sense of Jack MIDI; or, is this an appropriate use for Jack?
From:       Fred Gleason <fredg () paravelsystems ! com>
Date:       2013-02-16 15:43:35

On Feb 15, 2013, at 15:19 03, M Donalies wrote:

> Why is it that I can find
> entire books on programming the linux kernel, but so little about either Alsa
> or Jack?

In a nutshell: because the communities to which the Linux kernel is relevant are \
larger, by several orders of magnitude.  They also include significant multinational \
corporations who have bet their entire future on its success.

The lack of audio programming docs used to upset me also, until I realized that, as \
pro audio developers, we're just a flea on the back of this elephant called Linux.  \
I've learned to accept the fact that, when learning to do something new, I'm going to \
be spending a lot of time studying source code and reverse engineering other \
applications.  That's a basic cost of working with a free (in both senses) and open \
system.  Other systems exist that have well established documentation systems, but \
extract costs in other ways.  Take your choice.

Cheers!