List:       linux-atm
Subject:    System hangs over NFS mounts?
From:       Krekorian Carl R JR NPRI <KrekorianCR () Npt ! NUWC ! Navy ! Mil>
Date:       2001-01-30 21:33:15

Background:

I am using RH7.0 with kernel 2.4-test10 on top. I have downloaded Red Hats
gcc fixes as well.
I also built atm0.78 tools. I am using a INTERPHASE 5575 NIC with a ASX-1000
I960ha.

I have done some testing and the ATM cards works. I am able to do

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/nfsmount bs=16k count=17192

This writes approx 260Mb to the nfs mounted disk in about 43sec.
I can also ping other nodes on the network with large packet sizes quite
fast. No problems yet!
I then cd to the NFS mount and try to compile a small 30 line program
and the nfs mount hangs. I have no problem when I compile this on the local
disk.

The first two days I suspected an NFS problem. Who wouldn't.
However I think it is a ATM problem ===>

I installed a 3Com 3c905tx NIC and had no problem with the compile or dd.
What gives? How do I go about and debug this??

I tried tweaking the nfs mount wsize and rsize to every conceivable number
within reason.
Nothing gives there. I even tried nfs version3. I also notice that a wsize
of 8192 actually
HUNG the system every time on the dd as well. 8191 worked fine though? So
did 16k. Go figure

Thanks in advance!

-Carl

Carl R. Krekorian Jr