List:       linux-atm
Subject:    Re: Transmit side resource exhaustion..
From:       Mike Prudence <mjp () filmsat59 ! com>
Date:       2000-10-26 8:30:54

Folks,

Whilst we're talking about TX side resource exhaustion, I'm wondering if
anyone has come across complete resource starvation at the TX side of the
fore200e driver included with atm0.78/linux 2.4.0-test??

I have been experiencing random crashes of the linux box acting as our
router/firewall, and they seem to be cured by tinkering with fore200e_irq_tx

fore200e_irq_tx(struct fore200e* fore200e)
{
    struct host_txq_entry* entry;
    int i;

    if (fore200e == NULL)
    {
       printk("IRQ_TX: fore200e is null\n");
       return;
    }

    entry = fore200e->host_txq.host_entry;

    if (entry == NULL)
    {
        printk("IRQ_TX: entry is NULL\n");
        return;
    }

etc...etc..etc...

Now, this stops the whole box crashing, but doesn't stop my LECs from being
shutdown by transmit buffers being full.  It seems that once they get full,
they stay full.  I've looked at the code around there a bit more, but
without the spec sheets for the card I can't tell much.  It seems to me the
software is reporting that the hardware has full tx buffers, and that's the
end of it.

Anyone got any ideas ??

Cheers,

Mike.

mjp@filmsat59.com                                   http://www.filmsat59.com
Films at 59 Ltd, 59 Cotham Hill, Bristol.  BS6 6JR ENGLAND  +44 117 906 4300