List:       linux-atm
Subject:    Re: IPv6 over ATM
From:       Mohsen Souissi <Mohsen.Souissi () inria ! fr>
Date:       1998-09-30 18:06:58

Hi Marco, Werner and all,

> Referring to the 'IPv6 over ATM Networks'-draft
> <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-01.txt> and 'IPv6 over NBMA'

==> Actually, the latest version is <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-02.txt>

> <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-01.txt> the implementation should be changed.
> May be that this draft is a little bit obsolet but running the
> implementation with IPv6 over ATM and the adequate header for LLC/SNAP
> encapsulation (unicast data) is the aim.

The 2 drafts above are to be considered jointly with RFC2022 (Multicast
Address Resolution Server, MARS).

As ARP is replaced by Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP), CLIP cannot be used
with IPv6 anymore.

MARS is then supposed to forward NS requests to the members of the cluster
(mapped with the LL) forming the multicast group derived from the IPv6
address to resolve.

Therefore, I think MARS and MARS clients have to be implemented anyway to
enable IPv6/ATM.

Regards,

Mohsen.

P.S. Implementing MARS and MARS clients (NetBSD/FreeBSD Unix platform) is
what I'm currently doing and that's not so obvious :-)