List:       linux-atm
Subject:    RE: Any xDSL ATM products/solutions supported?
From:       Corinne Rosier <Rosier () tcl ! ite ! mee ! com>
Date:       1998-09-28 10:38:48

Hi Craig and John,

	To try to answer to your questions, I can tell you that  we are
currently building a bench-top implementation on ATM over ADSL, using
Linux 2.1.65 and atm 0.33.
	For the NICs, we use Efficient Networks ENI 155 adapters and custom
ADSL modem cards for R and C sides (without ATM functions).
Of course no linux support was provided for the ADSL boards, so we had
to develop a host interface driver under linux for these NICs and then
an ATM over ADSL interface driver, to communicate between these two
different kinds of NICs.
	Now it well works at both sides and we can pass cells in blocks from
the ATM driver through the ADSL link and in the same way extract cells
from received blocks and forward them to the ATM driver. It was a big
stuff to do that, especially because our aim at first was not to develop
specific linux software for the ADSL NICs !...

	In fact before starting we looked over the ADSL market products we
could use in our platform for simulating both sides (user and network
sides) of the communication and we didn't find out no board fitting all
our requirements (no need for a big and expensive DSLAM equipment, and
open equipment required with API or parts of source code, in order to
introduce some research topics at a low level). We spent a lot of time
and didn't find anything corresponding to our needs.  That's the reason
why finally we have been obliged to use custom ADSL boards.
Now, maybe I missed something because I was'nt particulary in charge of
looking into these aspects,  but I think there's still no ADSL ATM board
supported by the Linux Atm software.
But tell me if you learn something new about it...

Best regards,
corinne.