List:       linux-atm
Subject:    Re: books about kernel programming
From:       Bill Brooks <wbrooks () toocool ! itslab ! calpoly ! edu>
Date:       1997-10-29 17:20:11

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Martin Bisko wrote:

> I just start working on my thesis "ATM layer to Linux". Could somebody
> recommend me books about Linux kernel programming (books, where I can
> learn all important about Linux kernel to do the thesis). Is it possible
> to get these books (download) from Internet because it lasts at least 1
> month to get foreign books when living in Czech Republic?

I am doing the same thing for my research (no, not the same topic, but
learning about ATM via Linux the same way). I am reading:

   Michael Beck, Harald Bohme, Mirko Dziadzka, Ulrich Kunitz,
   Robert Magnus, and Dirk Verworner. _Linux Kernel Internals_
   Addison-Wesley, 1996. ISBN 0-201-87741-4.

This is a translation into English from the original which I gather was in
German. Alternatively you could have a look at the Kernel Hacker's Guide,
which you can download from the net for free. Take a look at:
  http://www.redhat.com:8080/HyperNews/get/khg.html

Hope this helps.

Bill