List:       linux-assembly
Subject:    Re: Naked Functions
From:       André_Wagner <andre () syspoint ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-05-27 14:29:23

Hi,

I've read some time ago about how writing a full programm without the
headers. It's useful for write a boot sector for example, but I'm not sure
for functions. But you can use it as a start point...

Just compile your program like this:

gcc -c test.c
ld -o test -Ttext 0x0 -e main test.o
objcopy -R .note -R .comment -S -O binary test test.bin

HTH,

André

On Tue, 27 May 2003 19:43:59 +0530, S kris <kris_bs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have come across some MS C code which uses 'naked' functions. How can I
> achieve a similar effect with GNU toolchain. I do not want to rewrite the
> code in assembly .s file and would prefer to do simple modifications to
> make it work with Linux.
>
> Is the macro __attribute__((naked)) valid for the above purpose?
> If not, what are the methods to generate the code for functions without
> its prolog and epilog code (naked functions) under Linux?
> Is prolog and epilog  code generated by both MS tools and GNU tools
> (compilers) are same?
>
> Please clarify the above queries.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Kris