List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: fsx-linux on ARM on 2.6.21
From:       Andy Green <andy () warmcat ! com>
Date:       2007-05-31 21:04:54

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> [ It's somewhat doubtful that this explains the db4 corruption issues
> I'm seeing, since this issue only manifests when you combine mmap and
> read/write accesses to the same file, and db4 _seems_ to access its
> __db.??? files solely via mmap and its data files solely via
> read/write.. :-(  ]

Broken behaviour for DB4 (db-4.5.20) on ARM dates back to 2.6.17.3 for
me -- corrupted __db.??? files pretty much immediately after they were
created.  I spent a few days trying to track down what exactly was
breaking inside DB4 after last Christmas, by adding printfs deep inside
DB4.  At one magic point, with "one more printf", the thing stopped
failing.  Removing the printf made it broke again.

Since I needed it for postfix, at that time I just used the printf'd
version and it has been "fine" 24/7 ever since, except if I run a
postfix utility on the commandline I see my debug printfs spewing.

If you're interested in this what I admit sounds like crazed nonsense:

http://warmcat.com/octotux-db-4.5.20-arm.patch  <-- the set of printfs
http://warmcat.com/db-4.5.20.tar.gz <-- the base dist tarball
http://warmcat.com/db-4.5.20.spec  <-- my build configuration

-Andy