List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: How can I get printk output ?
From:       Erik Mouw <erik () bitwizard ! nl>
Date:       2005-09-29 9:44:35

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:48:52PM -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Christopher Friesen wrote:
> >The problem with probing is that there are devices out there that
> >don't like being probed.
>

> Sure.  But is the whole probing mechanism being deprecated?  For the
> sake of devices that *can* be probed, I hope not!

The problem is (and has never been) devices that can be probed, but
devices for which the driver isn't meant for that just don't like to be
probed at all. The ne2k driver probing wildly around thereby locking up
the PC comes to mind.

Erik

--
----  Erik Mouw  ----  www.bitwizard.nl  ----  +31 15 2600 998  ----