List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: Alignment trap handler: ai_usermode uninitialised
From:       Ralph Siemsen <ralphs () netwinder ! org>
Date:       2005-04-28 17:49:46

Peter Menzebach wrote:

> I would be fine, if the default value would be *any* other value than 0,
> preferable 5. Is there any known reason, why it is 0?
>
> It took me about the same time than Thilo to find out, what had happened.

There were lengthy debates about the appropriate default value on this
list several years ago.  In the end it was agreed that only kernel
should be fixedup by default; any userspace apps are faulty and should
be corrected.  The reason is that a significant performance hit is taken
by each fixup, so they should not occur silently.  The only sure way to
notice there is a problem is for the task to get a fatal signal.

(Just printing messages to syslog or even the current console isn't good
enough.  Users of X will never see it.  And in my case, I do all my
builds on headless machines, connected via ssh, so I didn't notice the
10,000's of alignment faults I was getting from gettext.)

What would be nice would be to have a new signal type, other than
segfault.. but that's not easily done.

-Ralph