List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: "Rules of the Road" Needed for CRAMFS Root
From:       Olav Kongas <ok () artecdesign ! ee>
Date:       2005-02-28 22:36:02

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> This may not be the ideal forum to ask this question, so please do steer
> me somewhere else if necessary...
>
> We're interested in using CRAMFS for the root filesystem on our embedded
> device.  Operationally, I think I understand how to do it.  But I am
> concerned about the fact that CRAMFS lacks current (.) and parent (..)
> directory information.  Does this mean that symbolic links that refer to
> "../foo" will not work?  If so, do people who are using CRAMFS have to
> construct their root filesystem in such a way that no "../" references
> are made?

I use cramfs as a root filesystem in one of our designs.
In the directory tree, from which I generate the root
filesystem as a cramfs image, the sbin is full of links
like these:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root     14 Oct 19 15:29 halt -> ../bin/busybox
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root     14 Oct 19 15:29 ifconfig -> ../bin/busybox
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root     14 Oct 19 15:29 init -> ../bin/busybox

We decided to use cramfs when it turned out that some
customers tended to fiddle with the jffs2, which came back
as an extra support burden. They haven't (yet) dared
to replace the whole filesystems.

Olav