List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    RE: SED1356 driver for 2.6?
From:       "Christopher Hoover" <ch () murgatroid ! com>
Date:       2004-12-29 9:22:04

> So, the bitblt stuff is done generically in 2.6?

Yes, the cfb* routines are generic.  But generic enough iff you can live
with the standard fb_{read,write}* functions.

That's not the case here, because I needed to issue a pair of 16-bit
read/writes for every 32-bit fb_{read,write}*.

I introduced the simple macro hackery to make it possible to include the
generic code (#include cfb<whatever.c>) with static def'ns into a driver
that had custom fb_{read,write}* primitives.

IIRC (it was a while ago), one of the two maintainers was OK with this, but
the other was unconvinced the (modest) generality was needed.

The only alternative, a wrong one imnsho, is to cut-n-paste the generic code
into the 1530[56] driver, making the functions static.  Ew.  But I did
exactly that, as requested, and re-generated the patch.  It was never
applied. After multiple inquiries, I gave up.

I see there's a new framebuffer layer maintainer now.  The whole thing might
be worth revisiting.  Feel free to try ...

-ch