List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: devfs problem,
From:       Matthias Welwarsky <mwelwarsky () web ! de>
Date:       2004-07-09 10:06:11

On Friday 09 July 2004 11:50, Lin.Colin@iac.com.tw wrote:
> Hi,
> What do you mean?
> I once tried to create /dev/i2c-0 and I found that it will disappear after
> the system reboots. /dev is created by devfs and the device file you create
> in /dev won't be saved. Because the USB device driver is embedded in
> kernel, it won¡¦t search out "/dev/i2c-0" when kernel is booting. Why I
> donot compile USB device driver as module? That's because I want to use
> KGDB to debug it.

But until you mount the root filesystem, there won't be a /dev anyway. If your
driver is in kernel, it will be initialized before / is mounted, so you would
not have device files anyway, regardless of devfs, would you?

Isn't there another way to do i2c from your USB driver but using file
operations from inside the kernel?

regards,
	matthias