List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Direct-mapped Compact Flash on ARM9
From:       "James Graves" <jgraves () deltamobile ! com>
Date:       2004-07-01 21:01:06

Howdy y'all,

I've been evaluating Cogent's CSB337 board, based around Atmel's
AT91RM9200 (ARM 920T core).

I would like to get the compact flash working.  This board does not use
any PCMCIA controller like the SA-1111.

Instead the CF slot is directly hooked up to the memory bus, with chip
selects, I/O strobes, interrupt, and such.

As far as I can tell, there is no support for this currently, so I was
hoping that someone out there would have some code which does this
already.

Failing that, I'll be writing my own driver for this.  I'm slightly
unsure what exactly will be happening here.

Looking around the kernel, I see a few interesting files:

    drivers/pcmcia/hd64465_ss.c
    arch/sh/kernel/cf-enabler.c

The first one especially seems instructive.  The comments say the
HD64465 provides a very thin host bridge layer, since I'm dealing with
basically _no_ host bridge layer.

If I follow this, is there anything else I need to watch out for?  I'm
thinking I don't really want/need the hotplug stuff, since the CSB337
board would crash if you just yanked out the card.

Any advice (or code) would be appreciated.

James Graves
Delta Mobile Software                               http://www.deltamobile.com