List:       linux-arm-kernel
Subject:    Re: On TLB flushing
From:       Russell King - ARM Linux <linux () arm ! linux ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-04-20 16:40:48

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:30:07AM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:21:30PM +0200, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:08:26AM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > The best way to learn how is to do it.  With a good kernel debugger it
> > > is almost as easy as debugging application code.  That's not to say
> >
> > What are you using? According to several sources arm doesn't have a
> > standard debugger and the patch tracking system didn't seem to contain
> > one either.  I do have a kgdb patch here which is incomplete, need to
> > implement some functions according to Documentation/arm/kgdb.
> >
> > Or are you using some kind of hardware solution?
>
> JTAG is the way to go for ARM processors.  IA32 doesn't have a
> hardware option, so the kernel developers resort to kgdb.

Not true.  If it were, kgdb would be merged into the IA32 kernel.

The reason Linus and others don't like debuggers is because you're
too close to the code - you end up thinking more about what's going
on at the lowest level, rather than considering what should be
going on from a high level point of view.